Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Red Lentil Dahl (Ayurvedic Dahl)

That summer "thing" that everyone seems to have gotten may have hit me. My throat is sore, I'm achy and tired and in need of something simple, warm and comforting. I marked this recipe in June's Yoga Journal. The article and recipes are what yoga teachers eat to nourish their bodies--generally foods and ingredients that keep your body light and your mind clear--I feel the need for both. I make dahl, (a thick stew-like dish usually made with lentils and spices) often and usually use urad (black lentils) so this recipe called "Ayurvedic Dahl" in the magazine and made with red lentils, sounded good. Since it seemed pretty low effort and I had all the ingredients I decided to make it tonight.

---------
Ayurvedic Dhal
Scott Blossom, Yoga Journal June 2008
------
1 cup red lentils, rinsed
5 cups water
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp ghee (clarified butter) or coconut oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
-------
1. Combine the lentils, water, turmeric, coriander, and ginger in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are fully cooked and soft.
2. Turn off the heat and add the salt,
3. In a large saucepan, warm up the ghee over moderate heat and add the cumin seeds to saute for a minute or so, or until they turn brown and release their aroma.
4. Pour the lentils into the saucepan and cover to allow the seasoning to blend, about 2 minutes. Garnish with cilantro.
--------
Makes 4-6 servings.
Recipe notes that "Scott Blossom enjoys dahl to help digestion and to balance his pitta dosha."

I have to confess that my "taster" might be a little numbed and out of whack tonight but it tasted good to me and was warm and comforting. I would use less water next time as it was a little "soupy" and I prefer my dahl a bit thicker. I am not sure if it "balanced my dosha" or not (I am never sure whether I am a pitta, vata or kapha?!?) but my body felt a little lighter and my mind felt a little clearer and I have leftovers for tomorrow. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Mahalo! I also had a cold today and found this recipe...very yummy and my family loved it!

    Aloha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous,
    Thanks for stopping by. I am so glad you liked the soup and that it helped. This post is from my very early days of blogging. It made me laugh to go back and see the photos.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)