Saturday, January 23, 2010

Apple-Orange-Hibiscus Infusion: An Afternoon Pick-Me-Up and "Simple Saturday Sipper"

For this week's "Simple Saturday Sipper" I was looking for a little something to perk me up in the middle of a long lecture/study session, so I tried this simple Apple-Orange-Hibiscus Infusion from a book called "Aromatic Teas and Herbal Infusions" by Laura Fronty. This tisane or infusion has no tea or caffeine but a delicious fruit flavor and the scent of the orange zest is very energizing. The book says: "If you need a pick-me-up when the day is getting a little long, try this tea instead of regular tea, especially if you tend to suffer from insomnia."


Apple-Orange-Hibiscus Infusion
"Aromatic Teas and Herbal Infusions" by Laura Fronty
(Makes 2 Cups)

Peel from 1/2 apple or a few cubes of dried apple
zest from oorganic orange
4 teaspoons hibiscus flowers
2 cups water

Finely dice apple peel and orange zest. Heat the teapot in advance and add the hibiscus, apple peel and orange zest. Add boiling water and let steep for at least 10 minutes. Sweeten to taste.

Notes/Results: A nice tangy-citrusy combination. I sweetened it with some local honey and also added some vanilla. (The author mentioned that vanilla, cinnamon or ginger could be added if desired). A good choice for afternoon or evening, it would be nice iced and the pretty dark pink color would make it fun for a shower, luncheon or child's tea party. I would make it again.

Happy Saturday!

12 comments:

  1. So sweet a collage!!!so fitting to the delightfull infusion...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need many a pick-me-up. I have my first big anatomy test on Monday. Therefore my weekend will be filled with a TON of studying. And I might be an insomniac by the time this is over. So this tea will be even more useful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tea sounds delightful and your collage is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tea looks so elgant and sounds delicious. I love the photo montage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb, those ingredients surely gives your sipper a rich luxurious color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty collage of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds delicious! Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious sipper, and what glorious colours! Your collage would look wonderful on my office wall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! The tea sounds great and love that photo collage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures are great and I love the pink background on them! Sounds like a great caffeine free solution for tea. Anything citrus definitely qualifies as a "pick me up". Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a delightful Afternoon pick-me-up. It really looks refreshing.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)