Saturday, September 11, 2010

Rosemary Lemonade: A Simple Saturday Sipper for Remembrance

It is hard to believe that today marks nine years since 9/11. I had moved to Hawaii just five months before the attacks and when I woke up to the news and the terrible images on the television screen, I have never felt so far away from my loved ones as I did that morning. I remember visiting the Twin Towers once on a college trip to New York City, and the thought of those enormous solid structures crumbling down, and the many lives that were lost that day was overwhelming.



Nine years later it is still overwhelming and so today is a time for remembrance. To that end, today's Simple Saturday Sipper is a Rosemary Lemonade. Since ancient times, Rosemary has stood as a symbol of memory or remembrance, immortalizing those we have lost.

Rosemary Lemonade
by Deb,
Kahakai Kitchen
(Makes About 6 Cups)

1 cup water
1/2 cup agave syrup or 1 cup sugar
2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice (about 8 lemons worth)
3 1/2 cups cold, filtered water
extra lemon slices and rosemary sprigs for garnish

Heat 1 cup of water, agave, rosemary sprigs and vanilla in a small pot over medium heat and bring to a boil. Let boil for about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let steep for 2 hours.

Add the honey, lemon juice and water (plus additional water to taste). Remove the rosemary sprigs and strain the lemonade into a pitcher. Chill
thoroughly and serve garnished with fresh rosemary sprigs and lemon slices.


Notes/Results: Flavorful and delicious. The rosemary's "piney" and slightly pungent taste pairs well with bright, tangy lemon, a bit of vanilla and honey soften the taste, and along with the agave, make it lightly sweet. The rosemary is from my herb garden where it is growing strong and proud and this lemonade is another great way to use it. The rosemary syrup would also be delicious in a cocktail. I will make this drink again.

Aloha,

14 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful drink - and a poignant post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Refreshing nad wonderful drink.Awesome click.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Deb, beautiful post! A very sweet tribute, I love the symbolism behind it. And the drink itself. Rosemary and lemon go so well together, I'm sure they work wonders in this lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post!! The rosemary lemonade looks so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful post! btw, I was actually at the twin towers a month before the tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple, gorgeous combination. Sounds amazing...and thank you for making me think this morning ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post. I love your tribute and the drink you made. I hope you had a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is simple and nice..a refreshing way to put the past away too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Deb, Just love this lemonade, and to think I have all these ingredients including the fresh rosemary. A beautiful presentation too. You can spike it up too, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet tribute - I love that you used rosemary as a symbol. The drink sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love lemon juice, this is so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your thoughtfulness in creating this recipe!! It looks like a wonderful drink Deb.

    Nine years ago. It seems like a lifetime ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful tribute, deb. great drink for warm evenings. i will definitely make this!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)