Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Miso-Grilled Salmon with Brown Rice and a Simple Sesame-Cucumber Salad

There is almost always a container of white miso paste sitting in my refrigerator, ready for a quick soup,  to be mixxed into a sauce or dressing, or added to a marinade/paste for fish. This Miso-Grilled Salmon is an easy recipe from Simple Dinners by Donna Hay. It calls for firm white fish but since I had salmon fillets in the freezer that's what I used. 


Donna recommends serving it with jasmine rice and a simple cucumber salad with a toasted sesame seed dressing. I switched my rice to brown for a little extra fiber and tossed together a cucumber salad of my own. The salmon turned out tender and succulent and it made for a satisfying but not heavy dinner.  


Miso-Grilled Fish (Salmon)
Adapted from Simple Dinners by Donna Hay
(Serves 4)

4 (200 g / 7 oz) firm white fish fillets, skin off
1/4 cup white miso paste
2 Tbsp caster (superfine) sugar (I reduced to 1 1/2 Tbsp)
1 Tbsp finely grated ginger (I used 1 1/2 Tbsp)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp water
steamed jasmine rice and lemon wedges to serve

Place fish on a baking tray lined with parchment. Combine miso, sugar, ginger, oil and water and spread over the fish. Allow to marinate 10-15 minutes.

Preheat grill or broiler and  over high heat and broil fish for 6-8 minutes or until just cooked through. Serve fish with steamed rice and lemon wedges and a simple cucumber salad with toasted sesame seed dressing, if desired. 

Simple Sesame-Cucumber Salad: I used my mandoline to slice a local cucumber very thinly, then marinated the slices in a mixture of olive oil, rice vinegar, a touch of sesame oil, a small drizzle of honey and a generous sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds. I also added some fresh cilantro when I placed it on the plate. No real measurements--everything to taste. 


Notes/Results: Excellent! The miso paste really locks in the moistness of the fish and gives it a great savory-sweet flavor with warmth from the ginger. I did reduce the sugar slightly and upped the amount of ginger that I used in the marinade (noted in red above). I would have liked to have my salmon a little more blackened on top but my oven has been a bit *funny* lately so I moved the rack down one notch as I had visions of my gas broiler element flame catching my salmon on fire. ;-) Still, the salmon ended up cooked to my liking on the inside and still had that nice slightly crispy miso crust. Yum! It was perfect with the nutty, slightly chewy brown rice and crisp, tangy cucumber salad. I will make this again.
 

It's Potluck week at I Heart Cooking Clubs and a chance to make any Donna Hay dish or a dish from any previous IHCC chef. Check the linkys on the post to see the different dishes everyone made.

***Book Giveaway!***

Do you like to read? Do you like well-written mystery/thrillers with strong female leads? There's still a chance to enter my giveaway for a copy of The Seduction of Miriam Cross by W. A. Tyson, to one U.S./Canada-based blog reader. It's easy to enter--just go to my review post here, and leave a comment by this Thursday, Dec. 19th on that post telling me about one of your childhood career dreams. ;-)  
 

10 comments:

  1. I love salmon cooked like this! We sometimes do a piece of fish and a piece of eggplant for each of us, with the dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salmon is on sale at Whole Foods this week! I know what I'm making with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I am embarrassed to admit, I've never used Miso paste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks perfect. I need to get on my Potluck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deb,

    This salmon dish looks amazingly good and refreshing! Yum!

    Zoe
    http://www.bakeforhappykids.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a hard time finding miso paste in my little rural backwater, but it turns up, on occasion! Next time I see it in the market, I plan to make this dish. I have had my eye on it in one of Donna Hay's cookbooks (was it in Flavours ?) Anyway ... don't have to dig for it. Can come here for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb,
    This looks really delicious! I will have to try miso paste with fish. A wonderful satisfying meal indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love salmon in almost any form but this whole dish is so well balanced, I can see it moving to the top of the list, that is if I can find kosher miso.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your plate looks beautiful. Salmon and miso go so well together, I can imagine how delicious it was as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Couscous & ConsciousnessDecember 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM

    Deb, I love everything about this dish. Salmon is hands down my favourite fish, and I love it with a miso glaze. Love the idea of that cucumber salad with it too. Think I might try this one this week for our Spa theme.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)