Saturday, July 5, 2014

Little Green Onion & Ricotta Omelettes with Asian Dipping Sauce

Little is always more fun to eat. These Little Green Onion & Ricotta Omelettes by Nigel Slater are a good example. Savory little egg pancakes studded with green onion and cilantro and served with an Asian Dipping Sauce, they are a good little starter for a light summer meal. 


Nigel says, "Tiny, free-form omelettes the size of a large biscuit. Let them form their own shape in the pan. Eat them as they are, or with the simple dressing below."

Little Green Onion & Ricotta Omelettes
Adapted from Notes From the Larder by Nigel Slater
(Makes 6, Serves 3)

ricotta cheese: 1 cup (250g)
eggs: 4
green onions: 3
cilantro leaves: a handful
butter: 1 1/2 Tbsp (20g)

Mash the ricotta with a fork. Lightly beat the eggs and stir into the ricotta. Finely chop the green onions, then mix with the cilantro leaves. Fold them into the ricotta and egg mixture with a generous seasoning of salt and a little black pepper.

Melt the butter in a frying pan. When it starts to sizzle gently, pour a spoonful of the mixture in and let it settle into a small pancake, about 2 1/2 inches (6cm) in diameter. Add as many others as you can comfortably fit in the pan. Let them cook for a couple of minutes till lightly colored on the underside, then flip gently over and cook the other side for a minute. 

Lift the omelettes out onto warm plates and serve immediately.

A very simple dressing for the omelettes can be made by mixing a tablespoon each of fish sauce, lime juice, and soft brown sugar with a little chopped red chile and grated ginger to taste. (Note: I didn't have a red chile so I used a squirt of Sriracha sauce instead.)


Notes/Results: These are light little omelettes, kind of a little fritter / pancake sort of thing. They remind me of the scallion pancakes at a favorite Chinese food restaurant. The ricotta makes them light and they have plenty of flavor from the green onion and scallion. The dressing goes well with them and adds a good combination of salt, sweet and heat. I made a half batch and used a medium ice cream scoop to make three of them. They did spread a bit and I probably could have scooped smaller and made four or six but two on a bed of spinach, with the sauce worked well as a starter. Quick, simple and tasty, I would make them again.



The theme this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs is Starters and Nibbles. You can see what everyone made by checking out the picture links on the post.

 

14 comments:

  1. They look delicious! I love the light and fluffy texture ricotta brings to pancakes and omelettes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice idea, but I think you have a little mistake in your recipe. mg means milligrams to me, that's too less ricotta, just a hint. I think one cup of ricotta is about 250 grams (g) or 0,25 kg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine amazing texture of these with the use of ricotta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good eye--thanks for catching that typo. It obviously should have been g for grams = about a cup as written in the book--not sure how that 'm' worked it's way in there--must be clumsy fingers. ;-) It's fixed now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm intrigued by these! The idea of the dipping sauce is so interesting with the egg and ricotta!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deb,
    This was one of the recipe out of the many that I've bookmarked to make! And it looks delicious! Perfect as a "small" meal or part of a main. Eggs are always a favourite, so this would definitely receive the thumbs up in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great summer meal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Couscous & ConsciousnessJuly 8, 2014 at 10:39 PM

    I can just imagine how delicious these were, Deb, and the dressing on the side sounds just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To tell you how much, I like this recipe, I was printing it up and my printer stopped and I have not been able to fix it so I am actually hand writing it. It reminds me of the days when I had to do that with any good recipe I found in a cookbook. Now, I am spoiled. I hope to make this for dinner. It is my dream dish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I made these yummy pancakes but I forgot the scallions. That is because I wrote it by hand and I didn't write them down. I had no cilantro and I knew I needed green so I added some baby spinach. I added soy sauce to the pancakes and they disappeared almost immediately. Thanks so much for the recipe. I want to try it again correctly. I did send people who saw the dish here to get the correct recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omelettes with a dipping sauce...now that's a novel idea! I love all the flavors in this dish and it seems like a fun thing to make and eat. Bookmarking this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These seem like the perfect way to start a meal. Or just as a meal. The dipping sauce sounds easy enough to make all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)