Saturday, August 8, 2015

Cubed Potatoes with Garlic & Sage (+ a Fried Egg on Top): A Jacques Pépin Side Dish Turns Into a Breakfast Entrée

There are times that I like to march to the beat of my own drum. We are cooking breakfast and brunch dishes from Jacques Pépin this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs. Rather than pick one of Pépin's breakfast dishes, I have been wanting to make the Cubed Potatoes with Garlic & Sage from Fast Food My Way. It's in the book as a dinnertime side dish to serve with roast or chicken. I thought it would make an even better breakfast dish--especially with a fried egg on top. Slightly crispy potatoes, an abundance of garlic, fragrant sage, plus a sunny-side-up egg--just a few of my favorite things and a great reason to get out of bed. 


Jacques says, "Though left whole, the garlic cloves are quite mild when cooked this way. If fresh sage is not available, substitute fresh thyme, savory, oregano, chives, or basil.

Cubed Potatoes with Garlic & Sage
Jacques Pépin Fast Food My Way
(Serves 4 as a side

1 3/4 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp corn oil (I used coconut oil) 
24 medium garlic cloves, peeled
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper 
1 1/2 Tbsp shredded fresh sage leaves
(I added 1 fried egg)

Rinse the potato cubes in water and drain them well.

Heat the butter and oil in a skillet (preferably nonstick) until hot but not smoking. Addthe potatoes, cover, and cook them over medium heat for 10 minutes, turning occasionally, or until they are nicely browned. Add the garlic and cook, covered, for 10 minutes longer over low heat.

Add the salt, pepper, and sage and toss to mix. Serve immediately as a side dish or as an entree with a fried egg on top of each portion.


Notes/Results: Simple, savory and great flavor, these potatoes are a treat whether you are eating them for breakfast or for dinner. Sage and potato is a great combination and the garlic mellows with the cooking and adds a nutty and slightly sweet flavor to the dish. The whole dish gets even better with the fried and with a nice runny yolk on top. I will happily make this again.


You can see what Jacques Pépin breakfast and brunch treats everyone made by checking out the picture links on the
Reveille-toi!"(Get out of Bed!) post.
 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Deb,
    Eggs and potatoes, two of my favourites! I can see a plateful of this would disappear real quick if it is placed in front of me! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oo la la! This is my kind of breakfast! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this comforting potato dish for breakfast or brunch and the way you march to your own beat. I have my eye on this recipe for a while. Now I know this is a sure winner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks SO good! The coconut oil is a delicious change! And I love fresh sage...

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)